REGULATORY AND ENFORCEMENT DIRECTOR
The National Construction Industry Council (NCIC) was created by Malawi Government through an Act of Parliament (Cap 53:05) of the Laws of Malawi to promote, regulate and develop the construction industry in Malawi. A vacancy for the post of Regulatory and Enforcement Director has arisen in the Council. Applications are therefore invited from suitably qualified candidates for this post which is based at the National Construction Industry Council Head Office in Lilongwe.
The post of Regulatory and Enforcement Director is a very senior, challenging and demanding position in the Council. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, the position thus requires a mature, knowledgeable and dedicated individual to lead a Department whose mandate is to provide efficient and effective guidance on technical matters pertaining to the core operations of NCIC.
The successful candidate will be employed on a three-year fixed term employment contract, renewable based on satisfactory performance and continued availability of the position.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
This position requires a highly motivated, mature, knowledgeable, dedicated and professionally qualified person. The successful candidate should:
a) Be aged below 57 years
b) Hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Studies, Quantity Surveying, Land Surveying, and Built Environment Studies, and a Master’s degree in any construction related field, technical education or Business Administration obtained from a reputable and recognised institution of higher learning.
c) Be registered and paid up member with a Professional Board related to the construction industry in Malawi at Professional Level.
d) Have self-drive, excellent interpersonal communication, team spirit, supervisory and leadership skills
e) Be a strategic thinker with excellent planning and prioritisation skills
f) Have at least five (5) years’ experience at senior management level in a reputable private or public organisation
g) Be able to work during odd hours and on weekends and holidays when called to do so.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specifically, the Regulatory & Enforcement Director will be responsible for the following core functions:
1) Overall management of all technical, regulatory and enforcement services of NCIC;
2) Preparing policy proposals and procedures relating to registration, regulation, promotion and development of the construction industry in Malawi;
3) Coordinating policy and matters relating to registration of contractors, consultants and material manufacturers and suppliers
4) Monitoring the facilitation of project registration, capturing, updating and managing projects records and database
5) Preparing and controlling departmental budget
6) Monitoring performance of contractors, consultants and material manufacturers and suppliers and liaising with the Training Department on areas requiring capacity building
7) Coordinating production of indicators and market information and publicity of such information
8) Providing guidance for monitoring of Compliance by construction firms and parties in the Construction Industry
9) Ensuring that policies and guidelines are followed and implemented and oversee compliance by persons registered in the construction industry to the fundamental principles and specific rules and ethical regulations
10) Keeping up to date information about trends in the distribution of projects and procurement practices by procuring entities and providing guidance where necessary
11) Identifying and recommending areas for research and development interventions
12) Ensuring timely production of high-quality technical reports
13) Performing any other technical duties relating to the construction industry as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
This position attracts a competitive remuneration package. Only candidates who strictly meet the above requirements should apply. Applications including detailed Curriculum
Vitae (CV) should reach the office of the Comptroller of Statutory Corporations by 12th May 2022. Only short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
The Comptroller Department of Statutory Corporations
P O Box 30061
Capital City Lilongwe 3.